Office of Advising Services
Our mission is to prove a network of professional academic advisors who support students as they establish and realize their personal, academic, and career goals at Florida Gateway College. The primary focus is to assist and guide students so they are retained at FGC from time of enrollment through graduation.
The Office of Advising Services helps students meet their academic, personal, and career goals. We provide the following services to students:
- Academic Advising
- Transfer Advising and Assistance
- Multicultural Academic Success Program
- New Student Orientation
Our Academic Advisors:
- Explain College policies and procedures
- Educate and monitor students on academic requirements and degree progress
- Guide students in planning educational and career goals
- Connect students with relevant college resources
- Actively support incoming students with their transition to the college
- Help students define academic, personal and career paths
Academic Advising Expectations and Responsibilities
In order to be successful in your academic career, it is essential to stay informed, plan effectively, and engage in proactive, positive decision-making and problem-solving. Your academic advisor is here to help!
Academic advising is a partnership between student and academic advisor, and includes shared decision-making and responsibility. Make sure to meet with your academic advisor regularly to ensure that you are on the right track.
Strategies for a Successful Advising Relationship
Plan ahead! Schedule appointments with your academic advisor well ahead of registration periods. This allows you time to meet with you advisor and helps you to avoid frustrating waits and missed opportunities.
Know your resources! Often, students can find the answer to their questions on their own. Become familiar with and regularly access websites, catalogs, and handbooks.
Responsibilities in the Advising Relationship
Students are active partners in the advising relationship, and as such, should:
- Gather all relevant decision-making information
- Identify and understand personal values and goals
- Become knowledgeable and policies, procedures, and requirements
- Accept responsibility for decisions
|Student Responsibilities||Academic Advisor Responsibilities|