Library Cards & Policies
- All residents of Columbia, Baker, Gilchrist, Dixie, and Union counties are eligible to receive a library card from Florida Gateway College with valid Identification. Library patrons are responsible for any and all fees incurred due to lost or damaged materials.
- Current student and employee ID cards serve as library cards. Community member cards will be assigned in the library.
- We do not allow food in the library, and prohibit the use of tobacco or alcohol products. Covered drinks are accepted.
- Please talk quietly and do not disturb others in the library.
- Please do not re-shelve books or magazines, as we count them for statistical purposes. Leave them on tables or carts for library staff.
- Books and audiobooks are loaned for a period of three weeks. DVD’s are loaned for a period of two weeks. Periodicals (magazines) are loaned for one week. Certain collections, including Reference, microfilm, and newspapers do not circulate. Reserves are loaned according to instructor requirements.
- Patrons who are delinquent in returning material will have their borrowing privileges suspended, and students’ records will be frozen until materials are returned.
- Students are allowed to check out three items per subject, up to ten items total. Of the ten, three may be audiovisual items.
- Community members are allowed to check out three items total. Of the three, one may be an audiovisual item. o Items may be renewed one time online (My Account), by phone, by email, or in person.
Online Library Services
- The FGC Library has more ebooks than print, and many hundreds times more databases and journal content than could fit in our library. Please see the Library Catalog for access to our resources.
- There are five study rooms located in the library. These rooms may be reserved at the circulation desk for two hours.
- Each room will be checked out on a student’s record.
- Each room includes a whiteboard, computer, and table & chairs.
- Rooms 119, 121, & 123 will hold 4-6 people.
- Rooms 124 & 126 will hold 8-10 people.
- We have approximately 40 computers available. These computers are connected to a black & white laser printer/copier. School-related copies and printouts are free with Student ID. Otherwise, printing is $.05 per page.
- There is also a classroom with 35 computers, a Sympodium with projector and separate monitor, and whiteboards. This classroom is reserved for classes and library trainings. If larger groups would like to use the room, please let the staff know, and arrangements can be made.
- Tampering with computers is a crime. Please visit only appropriate websites.
- There are also computers available in the Student Success Center (Building 59) and the Print Lab (Building 007).
- If the FGC Library does not have a specific book, it is possible to borrow from other libraries in Florida. Students may request up to three items at a time through Interlibrary Loan. This process may take up to three weeks to complete.
- Requests can be made by logging into UBorrow, which shares books across all 40 state colleges and universities.
- We are always willing to help answer reference questions to the best of our abilities. Our first priority is to assist students and faculty with coursework and research, but we will work with any member of the general public who needs research assistance.
- DVD’s, graphic novels, and magazines are arranged alphabetically by title.
- Audiobooks and children’s books are arranged alphabetically by author.
- The books in the Library are arranged by Library of Congress classification
A – General Works
B – Philosophy. Psychology. Religion
C – Auxiliary Sciences of History
D – History (General) and History of Europe
E – F – History: America
G – Geography. Anthropology. Recreation
H – Social Science
J – Political Science
K – Law
L – Education
M – Music and Books on Music
N – Fine Arts
P – Language and Literature (Fiction)
Q – Science
R – Medicine
S – Agriculture
T – Technology
U – Military Science
V – Naval Science
Z – Bibliography. Library Science. Information Resources (General)
- We gladly accept suggestions and requests for purchases to enhance the library collections at FGC. We may not always be able to fulfill such requests due to budgetary or time constraints, but we always try our best to fulfill the needs of our students. Please fill out the Materials Request Form to submit your request.
Gifts & Donations
- The library welcomes gifts of books and other library materials that fit the needs and requirements of the collection. The library is under no obligation to accept or keep all materials that are donated. However, useful additions to the collection are always welcome. Letters of acknowledgment are available. Tax laws allow us to indicate the number of volumes that you have donated, but we may not assign a value. We appreciate all gifts. We will also accept financial donations. Please send these to the Foundation for Florida Gateway College, and reference the FGC Library in the donation form. Your generosity is greatly appreciated.