The mission of the Department of Institutional Effectiveness is to work collaboratively with administrators, faculty, and staff to ensure continuous quality improvement through systematic, integrated, and data-based institutional planning and decision making.
Who We Are and What We Do
The Department of Institutional Effectiveness (IE) falls under the auspices of the Vice President of Academic Programs. The three major responsibilities of the IE department are Accreditation, Program Review & Assessment, and Institutional Research.
The IE department is an integral part of the accreditation leadership team. As such, IE provides guidance to ensure the college is in compliance with the standards set forth by our accrediting agency, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Supporting functions include:
- Monitoring and working with departments to ensure timely and accurate reporting of substantive changes to SACSCOC
- Supports programs in their accreditation self-studies as needed
- Supplies the college’s SACSCOC liaison with data necessary to complete the annual Institutional Summary reports
- Oversight of the decennial Reaffirmation efforts, Fifth-Year Report submission, and submission of any required monitoring reports.
Program Review & Assessment
Program review and assessment activities comprise the cornerstone of all the efforts of the IE department. IE supports faculty and staff efforts toward continuous improvement and is tasked with the responsibility of:
- Development of processes to monitor and document continuous improvement of student learning outcomes and achievement initiatives.
- Monitoring and analyzing the effectiveness of academic programs, and supporting departments through an annual program review process
- Assisting departments to develop meaningful metrics for measuring effectiveness of programs and activities
- Analyzing data for student learning outcomes
- Conducting assessment workshops for faculty and staff
Institutional research works hand in hand with and supports each of the elements of institutional effectiveness. Some duties include:
- Compiles and produces the annual college fact book
- Responds to college-wide requests for information and reports
- Assists in monitoring state and federal reporting data for consistency and accuracy
- Performs ad hoc analyses and reports as needed
- Periodic enrollment updates and comparative statistics supporting enrollment management
- Monitors college website for compliance with federal state and accreditor requirements
For additional information, contact:
Rebecca van Hoek
Director, Institutional Effectiveness & Assessment
Coordinator, Research & Institutional Effectiveness