The Fall 2020 Plan to Keep the Wolfpack as safe as possible.
August 6, 2020
With the fall semester quickly approaching, we wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for being a student at Florida Gateway College and share important information about the fall semester.
Keeping Our Pack Safe
- Our main concern is the safety of all individuals who enter our doors, therefore everyone on campus should follow the Wolfpack’s Three W’s: Wash your hands, Watch your distance and Wear your mask. Masks must be worn in classrooms, in hallways and in public spaces of the College.
- If you have had close contact (less than 6 feet apart for 15 minutes or more) with someone who has COVID-19 and you did not have a mask on, please report this to your instructor or Ms. Rebecca Golden 386-754-4271 beforeattending an on-campus class. As always, follow CDC guidelines recommended. Attached please find the process and procedure of how to report a potential COVID illness. Timeliness is important but the most important part of the reporting process is gathering accurate information to determine a plan of action. The college is in frequent communication with the Columbia County Department of health and monitors updated information from the CDC. To report a potential COVID issue please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Throughout the semester there will be more details on changes and how safety precautions will impact student life can be found at https://www.fgc.edu/fgc-fall-2020-keepthepacksafe/.
Welcome Back Week
We look forward to welcoming students back on campus beginning August 17th!
Enclosed you will find information on Welcome Back Week. We hope you will take advantage of the workshops, activities and freebies we have planned to kick off the fall semester!
Please make sure you check your schedule of classes now, so you’re aware of any date, time, or instructional method changes that were made due to COVID precautions. The end of fall term will be November 24th.
We wish you the best this fall semester! Please reach out to your teachers and advisor as often as you need. You have tutors, a food pantry, counseling services and many other resources available to you. We commend your dedication to pursuing your college and career goals and it is our privilege to help your succeed and be part of your journey.
Warm Wolfpack Wishes,
Lawrence Barrett, Ed.D.
Florida Gateway College
Entire Campus Community
The Three W’s- For Everyone on Campus
- Wash your hands
- Watch your distance
- Wear your mask
The Wolf Pact will be posted and stated throughout the college that we (students, faculty, staff, and administration) will be compassionate, honest, and direct on how we address COVID challenges.
College administration will continue to monitor the situation throughout the Fall 2020 semester and consider all CDC recommendations and local Health Department recommendations.
We will all always abide by the social distancing policies- attempting to be 6 feet apart if possible and no long term (15 minutes or more) interaction between individuals if 6 ft apart cannot be established.
College will have notations and signage throughout the buildings that will provide social distancing and mask requirements.
Masks must be worn in classrooms, in hallways and public spaces of the college.
As you enter most of the busiest buildings on campus there will be student greeters that will have hand sanitizer for everyone entering the building. They will also be reminding everyone of the campus requirements of wearing masks, and also about hygiene and wellness. Currently, we do not plan on mandating temperature checks for all individuals daily, but this may be established at some point in time. All frequently used buildings will have one entry point.
All on campus classes have had their class size reduced to accommodate social distancing. In addition, the college has staggered classroom use so they can be cleaned and disinfected in between.
The semester will end early and the last day of the Fall 2020 semester will be the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
The Gateway Grill/cafeteria will be closed for the semester.
The fitness center will be closed until further notice.
Student Activities building will be open and activities in the center will continue. However, social distancing and face masks will be required in this area. Student Activities will host virtual student activities throughout the fall 2020 semester.
Guidelines for Students
The college is offering both fully online classes, hybrid courses and face to face on campus courses for all students. Based upon student preference, learning needs, and availability of connectivity students may select any of those options. Specific technology and workforce programs most likely will have many face- to-face courses required based upon program accreditation and other factors. For the Fall 2020 semester the college has shifted several liberal arts, general elective courses to online. However, there is still a percentage of classes that will be taught face-to-face on campus. Social distancing of 6 ft. and required mask wearing will be the requirement for face-to-face classes.
Our knowledge and understanding of COVID-19 continues to evolve; our policies and plans will be updated, as appropriate, and as additional information becomes available. It is possible that per the Governors Order or the local health department that on campus classes could be suspended. In this case, all of these courses would revert to online courses. FGC wants a continuity of learning for all students that chose a delivery method for their education (face-to-face, online, hybrid). However, in these times there is no absolute guarantee of face-to-face learning for the entire semester.
If you have had close contact (less than 6 feet apart for 15 minutes or more) with someone who has COVID-19, please report this to your instructor or Ms. Rebecca Golden 386-754-4271 before attending an on-campus class. As always, follow CDC guidelines recommended here.
The following are CDC general guidelines regarding risk of COVID-19 for college students:
IHE (Institutions of Higher Education) General Settings
- Lowest Risk: Faculty and students engage in virtual-only learning options, activities, and events. OPTION FOR FGC STUDENTS
- More Risk: Small in-person classes, activities, and events. Individuals remain spaced at least 6 feet apart and do not share objects (e.g., hybrid virtual and in-person class structures or staggered/rotated scheduling to accommodate smaller class sizes). OPTION FOR FGC STUDENTS
- Highest Risk: Full-sized in-person classes, activities, and events. Students are not spaced apart, share classroom materials or supplies, and mix between classes and activities. NOT AN OPTION FOR FGC STUDENTS
The semester will end early and the last day of the Fall 2020 semester be the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
The Gateway Grill/cafeteria will be closed for the semester.
The Residence Life Building will be closed for the semester.
Basketball and volleyball have been delayed until Spring 2021. Cross country will begin in the Fall.
The Fitness center will be closed until further notice.
The Student Activities building will be open and limited activities in the center will continue. However, social distancing and face masks will be required in this area. Additional virtual student activities will take place throughout the fall 2020 semester. Clubs and other student groups can meet and participate in their respective activities. However, masks, social distancing and other college requirements and recommendations must be followed. No groups larger than 10 can assemble without prior approval of the Presidents Office.
All non-FGC events have been postponed or cancelled until further notice except one event to be held in August with less than 10 people at the event at any time. There will be limited public access to the college. Access will be limited to only the Library and for official business at the college (ie-tours, official meetings with FGC staff etc.) All visitors of the campus will be required to wear face masks and practice social distancing.